Built in 1922, the 40-foot-wide, 710-foot-long structure originally served as a pedestrian and vehicular crossing of the Chemung River until 1989. The structure acted as a pedestrian cross-way for 20 years, until 2009, when an extensive rehabilitation project was enacted to restore the bridge's historic integrity. It is not an exact replica of the original structure, but the refurbished Centerway Walking Bridge has the same historical character and many of it’s surface elements pay homage to its celebrated heritage. New and interesting features of the bridge incorporate the history and the environment of the Corning area and Chemung River Basin. The bridge acts as a walking park with green lawns and perennial gardens. The space also strives to be educational, community friendly and interactive with animal tracks, a maze, glass pavers and fun horizontal stripes to break up the pavement. In the fall of 2014, the bridge's restoration project was named the American Public Works Association Historic Restoration & Preservation Project of the Year.
2) Sorge's Restaurant
The site was home to many restaurants from its beginning in 1891. In 1951, Sorge’s Restaurant opened and grew into a regional hub for families who wanted to enjoy real Italian meals from brothers Renato and Remo Sorge. Sadly, in December 2008 a faulty furnace ignited a blaze that claimed the entire building, leaving only three sides as a shell. The local community pulled together to show their support and urged the Sorge family to reopen. After a major renovation, funded in part by a New York Main Street Grant administered by Corning’s Gaffer District the restaurant reopened in April 2010. Local historic preservation architect, Elise Johnson-Schmidt, oversaw the rebuilding of this historic landmark.