Architectural Style: Romanesque
The Sprague Insurance building is a handsome, renovated three-story structure built in 1895. Previously known as the May-Callahan Block, it replaced the two wood frame structures which burned on the site in previous years. This Romanesque design has terra cotta and sandstone trim and a pressed metal cornice with leaf brackets. The original tenants for this building were a confectioner, a cigar jobber, a boot and shoemaker and a dance hall. An elevator in the rear of the building made the third floor accessible for a number of uses.
*This description was taken from a handwritten history of the Sprague Insurance Building compiled by our Architectural and Historic Walking Tour honoree, Mary Ann Sprague.*